Chinese Vegetable Stir-Fry
I’m always amazed at how quick and easy it is to make great Chinese food at home. And we’ll agree that when possible, homemade is so much healthier than take-out. There are some delicious ingredients in this vegetable stir-fry: meaty shiitake mushrooms, crunchy broccoli, sweet peppers and a ginger garlic brown sauce. Check out the ingredient list, do your shopping and we’ll be right back! And, as with any stir-fry, make sure you have all your ingredients on hand before you start cooking.
- 1 green onion, 1 clove of garlic, a little ginger
- 5 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 15 cl of water
- a pinch of dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil and vegetable oil
- 5 g of sugar
- 5g of cornstarch
- a pinch (or more if you like to eat spicy food) of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of dry mustard
- 300 to 400g of broccoli
- 250g of shiitake mushroom
- 1 red bell pepper
- 130g of rice (optional)
- Before you begin, chop the green onions, ginger and garlic. You’ll need them on hand once you start cooking.
- Next, whisk the soy sauce, water, dry sherry, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch, red pepper flakes and dry mustard together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, bring 1 inch of water to a rapid boil. Add broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender-crisp. (Blanching broccoli ensures it is perfectly cooked and bright green).
- Strain broccoli through a colander and then run under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside and let drain completely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the pan over high heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms and red peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden and the peppers are softened.
- Add garlic, light-coloured green onions and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Return broccoli to pan and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add reserved sauce. Stir and cook until sauce has thickened slightly and vegetables are evenly coated, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with dark green onions. Serve with rice, if desired, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 161,5